Monday 13 February 2012

Daffodils

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That has such worth yet knows not price
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host of filthy, greedy mice.
Beside the fridge, beneath the hob
- I stared at them with open gob.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way
They squeaked in never-ending line
- At once I hid my cheese away.
Ten thousand saw I at a glance
Tossing their tails in sprightly dance.
They danced with glee and would not flee.
- It made it hard to drink my tea.
Oh, I could not but rue the day
I met such jocund company.
I gazed - and gaped - but little thought
What wealth to me the show had brought.
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude.
Three things my heart with pleasure fill.
Mousetraps.  Poison.  Rentokil.

No comments:

Post a Comment